Any Kayako user — whether a customer, collaborator, or support agent — can add an extra layer of security to their account by enabling two-factor authentication (2FA). Once you turn on 2FA, you'll need to provide an authentication code whenever you log in, to prove that it's you. To get your codes, you'll add Kayako to an authentication app, like Google Authenticator. Then, when you're logging in, you'll refer to your app to get the current authentication code.
In this article, we'll walk you through the process of setting up 2FA on your user account. The steps are the same for customers, collaborators, and agents.
Enabling 2FA on your user account
Before you get started, make sure you have an authentication app, like Google Authenticator, downloaded on your phone or tablet. You'll need it in order to receive the authentication codes for your account.
To enable 2FA:
- Sign into your Kayako Help Center.
- Click the arrow next to your user name, and select Edit profile from the dropdown.
- Under 'Manage two-factor authentication', click the Enable button.
- On the next screen, you'll see a QR code. On your phone or table, open up your authentication app, add a new account, and scan the code.
- Once your app accepts the code, check that it's displaying an authentication code for your Kayako account, refreshing it periodically.
- Back in Kayako, click the Next button.
- Consult your app and enter the current code for your Kayako account in the Enter authentication code box.
- Click the Enable two-factor authentication button.
- On the confirmation screen, you'll see a list of emergency
Important: Print, save, or screenshot these codes, and make sure you keep them somewhere safe. If you need to get into your account, but you don't have access to your authentication app, you can use any one of these codes to gain access.
Once you have your codes stashed somewhere secure, you're all set! You're now free to go about your Kayako business, safe in the knowledge that no one can sign in with your account but you.